Who We Serve
Up to six families with one or more children, who are at imminent risk of homelessness.
How We Serve
Families accepted into our program are serious about leveraging the support we offer and gaining the skills needed to ensure their long-term sustainability upon graduating. We provide housing and financial assistance to these families, removing the barrier of homelessness by helping them move toward self-sufficiency. We offer courses in parenting, financial management, career coaching, and personal development among others, as well as help with continuing education. Upon graduation from our program, families have at least $1,000 in savings and steady employment.
Family Housing Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I apply?
- Complete online application (Currently Closed)
- When will I hear from someone?
- All applications are placed on our waiting list. When openings become available the Family Housing team will contact clients based on the waiting list ONLY if they have additional questions. We do not provide emergency housing.
- How long does my application stay on file?
- All applications stay on file for 6 months. Applicants must reapply on our website during the first week of the new quarter following the six-month expiration of their application.
- What qualifies a family for being considered for the program
- Since it is impossible for us to become everything to everyone, we decided that our service would not be geared toward the chronically homeless. Instead, we wanted to focus on families who have the potential of using our help to resolve problems that were brought on by their crisis. Therefore, we established our target of helping families who have suddenly become homeless, or are facing homelessness, and are in need of housing for their family. We accept single-parent households as well as married couples with children under the age of 18. Families are expected to be living together prior to being accepted into the program.
- Once a family is selected to participate in the housing program please provide a copy of the following:
- Current picture ID for each adult
- Birth certificate of all household members
- Marriage certificate for all married couples
- Social security cards for all household members
- How long can a family stay in the program?
- We provide short term housing that is based on a family’s progress towards targeted goals and outcomes which are time specific.
- If your contact information or living situation changes within six months of applying, please contact UMCH at 404-327-5820 to update your application.